Sidmouth to bag Walkers are Welcome status
“There’s little downside to this initiative, and the town’s economy can only benefit,” said Councillor Dyson.
SIDMOUTH is set to become only the second town in Devon listed on a website that promotes walking in a bid to boost tourism.
Civic leaders last week agreed to pay �50 to secure the town Walkers are Welcome status.
The grass-roots initiative will help strengthen Sidmouth’s reputation as a place for visitors to come and enjoy the outdoors, according to town councillor John Dyson.
Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce has also backed the bid.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s little down side to this initiative, and the town’s economy can only benefit,” said Councillor Dyson.
He added status will be sealed once 250 signatures of support have been gathered among other requirements.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge