Sidmouth to get Streetcar treat in October
FRESH from a glitzy opening in London s West End last week, Tennessee Williams classic A Streetcar Named Desire will get the Sidmouth Amateur Dramatic Society (SADS) treatment in October.
FRESH from a glitzy opening in London's West End last week, Tennessee Williams classic A Streetcar Named Desire will get the Sidmouth Amateur Dramatic Society (SADS) treatment in October.
The ground-breaking play, which will open at the Manor Pavillion Theatre on October 14, will be SADS first production of Tennessee Williams' work and will utilise a hugely experienced range of on and off-stage talent.
Regular SADS leading man David Harrison will direct the New Oleans based story, the first time he has done so for the group.
"This is a marvellous play," said David, who has been in London this week to see the play. He added: "I Didn't actually know it would be in the West End when I decided to do it."
You may also want to watch:
"We can't just have musicals and comedies.Although this may come as a bit of a shock to Sidmouth it seems there are many real theatre-goers in the town. This is a wonderful play, an important modern classic they will love."
David said SADS efforts are in the early stages of production but the town will be in for a treat when October comes around thanks to his talented cast.
- 1 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 2 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 3 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 7 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 8 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 9 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight
Avril Best will take on the role of Blanche Dubois, while Marc Colson and Tanya Rees will play Stanley and Stella Kowalski respectively.
Avril said: "Blanche is on the edge of despair and disaster. Undertaking the role is simply scary and exhilarating. It's a huge part."
Set in the French Quarter of New Orleans during the restless years following World War Two, A Streetcar Named Desire tells the story of Blanche Dubois, a fragile and neurotic woman, who, after being exiled from her hometown and moves in with her sister, only to be tormented by her brutish brother-in-law while her reality crumbles around her.