Sidmouth Town Band are champions
WE ARE the champions! Sidmouth Town Band ends its 2009 contesting season on a high note after winning the third section at the South West Brass Band Association s annual contest at Torquay on Saturday.
WE ARE the champions!
Sidmouth Town Band ends its 2009 contesting season on a high note after winning the third section at the South West Brass Band Association's annual contest at Torquay on Saturday.
The band also won the prize for the best horn section and left the Riviera Centre with two large cups, now in pride of place at its 'local' The Volunteer Inn, Temple Street.
Since being promoted to the third section (like a division in football) last year, the band had been holding its own until now.
You may also want to watch:
Winning on Saturday, beating bands such as Pendennis, which is due to be promoted to the section section in 2010, meant a lot to band members and musical director Adrian Harvey, who have been busily working away on Peter Graham's test piece Haslemere Suite.
Chairman Christopher Holland said: "The adjudicator's comments were particularly encouraging, mentioning the band's 'fine playing' and 'excellent lower brass sound'.
- 1 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 2 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 3 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 4 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 5 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 6 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 7 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 8 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government
- 9 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 10 Sidmouth Brass Academy set to play again
"Particular mention must go to the all female horn section that, not only helped the band to win the contest, but won a cup for themselves in the process!"
After Saturday's celebrations the band returned to Sidmouth to head Sunday's Remembrance Parade through the town centre.
The town band will now look towards its many Christmas engagements and concerts in the area, including its annual Christmas Concert at the Manor Pavilion Theatre on Friday, December 11 at 7.30pm.
Tickets are available from the theatre's box office.
Christopher, who is principal trombone, said anyone interested in joining the band or learning to play an instrument, can visit youth and training band rehearsals at the Band HQ, Woolcombe Lane, on Friday nights at 7pm.
More information on the band and its forthcoming events is on www.sidmouthtownband.co.uk.