Sidmouth Town Band’s HQ dream gets help from its ‘friends’
- Credit: Archant
The Friends of Sidmouth Town Band have pledged to do ‘all we can’ to help the acclaimed group secure its much-needed new HQ.
Fellow performers, past members and family members are among those clubbing together to make the band’s £500,000 dream a reality.
It hopes to take on the United Reformed Church – an ideal venue to perform, rehearse and teach up-and-coming musicians - as a replacement for its cramped current base in Woolcombe Lane.
Anne Blackburn, whose son Jerome gained a wealth of musical experience with the band, said: “We all want to see the band continue to succeed and nurture young musical talent.
“It is a vital part of our community, and we want to play our part in helping the band achieve their dream of new premises.”
You may also want to watch:
She founded the ‘friends’ group with singer Val Howels, Sally George and Andrea Gosling. “These talented and popular musicians deserve the best venue we can possibly give them,” said Val, a long-time collaborator with the band.
“Band members rehearse several times a week and have little time for fundraising. We will do all we can to help STB secure its much-needed new home.”
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
Andrea, who joined the training band with her son Thomas a few years ago, has a lot of events planned for the ‘friends’ group, including a musical variety night and musical coffee mornings, so members can enjoy a variety of social activities, meet new friends and have some fun.
Band chairman Martin Cordy said: “It is so lovely to receive support from this new friends group to help us secure the space we need for the next 150 years.”
To become a friend of STB, visit www.sidmouthtownband.co.uk or call Andrea on 01395 513973 to request an application form.