Sidmouth Town Band secures top three finish at championships
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town Band is celebrating its highest ever placement after coming third at the South West Band Association’s annual championships.
The musicians hit all the right notes with adjudicators at the weekend to claim a top three finish, as well as two silverware prizes and the accolade of the top first section band overall.
The competition on Saturday featured performances from the best bands in the South West competing in either the championship or first section.
Sidmouth Town Band was promoted to the first section after reaching the final of the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain last year.
The band, led by musical director Adrian Harvey, delighted audiences and adjudicators with their rendition of The Saga of Haakon the Good.
You may also want to watch:
The judges in their feedback said it was a very musical and enjoyable performance and well played by the band.
Adrian Harvey said: “I was very proud of the band on stage. They played with the style and musicality I had been asking for, and when small errors occurred, the players did not allow this to unsettle them.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 7 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
“To come first in the First Section is the band’s highest ever achievement.”