Sidmouth town councillor steps down after moving to Exeter
- Credit: Archant
The town councillor for Sidmouth’s South ward, Paul Wright, has resigned.
He had served for at least five years and became vice-chair in May 2019.
Cllr Wright now lives in Exeter and has been attending council meetings via Zoom for the last few months, but has now decided to step down.
He will continue chairing the project to redesign the town council’s website which is being re-branded as Live Sidmouth.
A new vice-chair will be elected at next month’s town council meeting.
You may also want to watch:
The council’s chairman Ian Barlow said “Paul brought a calm and level head to the Council with a very personable and measured approach in everything he worked on.
“His IT skills and knowledge have been particularly beneficial with various projects he has been involved in.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 7 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
“He will be very much missed”.
Residents of Cllr Wright’s former ward can now request an election to replace him.
If 10 people contact the returning officer by September 28, this will trigger an election, although no polls can be held before May 2021.
Elections are already to be held for three other town councillors who have left in the last few months.
John Rayson, also of the South ward stepped down in June, soon before his death. Louise Thompson of East ward also resigned in June, followed by Salcombe Regis councillor David Barratt in August.