Sidmouth traders braced for VAT hike
SIDMOUTH’S traders are being urged to prepare for a VAT hike in January.
SIDMOUTH traders are being urged to prepare for a VAT hike in January.
Retailers must charge the new 20 per cent rate on all standard-rated takings received on or after January 4, 2011.
But, if a customer pays on or after that date for something they take away or have delivered before January 4, the sale takes place before the rate change and the 17.5 per cent rate should be used.
Retailers who use electronic tills will have to re-programme them, so that the correct VAT rate is shown on till receipts.
You may also want to watch:
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) Director of CT and VAT Jim Harra said: “With the Christmas and New Year holidays almost upon us, businesses must be ready to implement the increase to the standard rate of VAT. They should not wait to implement the changes”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 6 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles