Sidmouth traffic plan talks ‘in July’
TALKS over a long-awaited plan to tackle traffic issues in Sidmouth are set to begin in July.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, the county’s cabinet member for highways, says organisations and residents will be invited to have their say on the comprehensive blueprint.
He says a ‘round table’ group will begin discussions in the coming months – and that the debate process could span a year.
Emergency services, bus operators, town and district councillors, representatives from the chamber of commerce and hospitality association will form the group.
Cllr Hughes hopes the round table can produce a questionnaire for all town traders. He said a draft plan will take approximately 10 to 12 months to complete.
“We will look at the whole picture. It’s going to take about a year,” said Mr Hughes.
“It’s all part of localism and working with people to come up with a sensible traffic management plan that will relieve a lot of the problems we have in Sidmouth. I hope everyone can have an input.”
- 1 Night-time fish thief makes daring raids on Otter Garden Centre pond
- 2 Exciting discovery as Sidmouth observatory reopens
- 3 Sidmouth Repair Cafe to hold first session of the New Year
- 4 'I am pro-vaccine, but I am also pro-choice'
- 5 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth on the climb while Otters rebuild
- 7 Sidmouth in Bloom hope to sow the seeds for national glory
- 8 Litter pickers shocked by amount of waste in river Otter
- 9 'Stunning' donation made to Dream-A-Way by HMS Defender
- 10 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
Issues like the provision of park and change, pedestrianisation, residents’ parking, car parking and cycle routes will all be up for discussion.
Mr Hughes added: “The recommendations from the round table will go out for public consultation before being submitted to the county council.”
He said last year that Sidmouth will have one “golden opportunity” to compile a comprehensive vision on every aspect of traffic and transport in the parish.