Sidmouth Twinning Circle prepares for visit
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth businesses are being encouraged to wave the Swiss flag to welcome visitors from the town’s ‘twin’.
Guest from Le Locle, Switzerland, will be arriving on Sunday, June 11, for five days to visit the town and the surrounding area.
Anne Bishop, chairman of Sidmouth Twinning Circle, spoke to the chamber of commerce last week to ask for shops to put signs up welcoming visitors to the town.
In 2014, businesses decorated their shops red and white to mark the 30th anniversary of the signing of the twinning charter.
Anne said: “Le Locle were requesting to twin with a seasside town. It [Le Locle] is famous for its watchmaking and is a UNESCO World Heritage site like us.
You may also want to watch:
“They love to come and look at the sea. They love to come and look at the buildings. They love to come and be part of it.”
Members of the group will host 22 guests for the stay, which will begin with a cream tea at the Harbour Hotel.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 5 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
On Monday, June 12, Sidmouth Town Council will host a civic dinner at the Kingswood and Devoran Hotel.
During their stay, the group will also visit the gin factory in Plymouth and Bickleigh Mill before departing on Friday, June 16.
Anne also appealed for young people to join the committee as the group wants to resume exchange trips bewtween the two towns.
She said: “We need to get more young members and do things for the young people.
“It’s my hope to get that restarted. The forecast from the acting head of Sidmouth College is perhaps in five years bwe can get another exchange with the school pupils and Le Locle.”
To join the twinning circle, contact membership secretary Brian Poole on 01395 512981.