Sidmouth unemployed could get help from new 'job club'
EAST Devon District Councillors are working with local MP Hugo Swire to set up a Job Club in the district.
EAST Devon District Councillors are working with local MP Hugo Swire to set up a "Job Club" in the district.
The aim is to help individuals obtain employment by providing free support and advice on CV writing, interviewing skills, and so on and put them in touch with prospective employers.
So, if you are seeking employment; are an employer who is looking for staff; or someone who might be able to help establish the Club, then the organisers would like to hear from you.
The Job Club is not a replacement for the Job Centre Plus but will seek to supplement what Job Centres offer by providing both one-to-one and group support for those seeking work and, in so doing, enhance the personal skills that are needed to be successful in the current difficult job market.
You may also want to watch:
Similarly, prospective employers will have a point of contact and access to potential candidates - completely free of charge.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 6 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 7 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 8 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
MP Hugo Swire said "We are facing difficult economic times; many businesses are struggling and local people are losing their jobs. Research shows that the best way to find another job is through friends, family or social networks".
The Job Club will be chaired by Councillor Stephanie Jones and supported by fellow Councillors Ray Bloxham, Malcolm Florey (EDDC's Business Champion) and Andrew Moulding (Portfolio Holder Resources).
Councillor Jones said: "Already volunteers have come forward who can help with CV preparation and interviewing skills, but we do need more help. We also need to identify organisations and businesses that would be willing to support us".
To find out more, please e-mail East Devon District Councillors Stephanie Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ray Bloxham at email@example.com.