Sidmouth wine-bar application approved
- Credit: Archant
Plans to re-launch a Sidmouth café into a wine bar open until midnight have been given the go-ahead.
An application for the premises at 67 High Street, formerly The Chattery, was approved this month to change the use from restaurant or café to ‘drinking establishment’.
The agent for the new owners, Vanstone and Son, said the plan is to keep the business as a bistro café during the day, but to serve ‘fine wines and light meals’ during the evening, initially from Wednesday to Saturday.
A statement sent to East Devon District Council (EDDC) said: “The applicant is keen to stress that his intention is to create a quality low key establishment aimed at attracting the more mature customer, as opposed to a livelier bar that would appeal to younger customers, and as a result may possibly lead to problems of excessive noise and rowdiness.”
But Environmental Health said the plans stay open until midnight should be altered to protect nearby residents from late-night noise.
You may also want to watch:
The agent said the applicant was happy to accept a condition which meant outside areas of the premises shall not be used for eating and drinking purposes after 11pm.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 3 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 4 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 7 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show