Sidmouth woman sheds nearly five stone to win title
Carolyn is Sidmouth slimming club’s Woman of the Year 2010
A SIDMOUTH woman who feared becoming one of the increasing number of obese people in the UK, has shed more than four stone at a Sidmouth slimming club.
Carolyn Burton from Sidford Road, has also won the title Slimming World 6.30pm group’s Woman of the Year 2010 award for losing nearly four and a half stone in just 17 months – an achievement that inspired her fellow members to vote her to
represent them in the annual competition.
Carolyn says her life has changed completely since she lost the weight.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I’d tried to slim down lots of times with various different diets, but I never got very far, I always felt hungry and even when I did lose weight I’d put it back on as soon as I stopped.
“Obesity never seems to be out of the news these days and I was afraid that I was fast becoming one of the statistics.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
“I felt constantly tired, unfit and unhappy. My confidence had slipped away years ago. This time I’ve changed the way I shop, cook, eat and exercise. I’ve totally changed my attitude to food and activity.”
She believes Slimming World has helped her choose to change her eating habits.
She said: “I’ve made some great friends in the group and sharing each others’ ups and downs each week in group has kept me coming week after week.
“I can’t thank my consultant Katrina and the other members of the group enough. I couldn’t have lost my weight without their support. If ever anyone had a bad week or a small gain we’d build each other up. I always leave group feeling empowered and confident I can do it. Now that I’m at the weight that I’ve always wanted to be, I know I’ve got the tools to stay at a healthy weight forever.”
Katrina, who runs the Sidmouth Wednesday groups which Carolyn attends,
said: “In many ways, Carolyn is unrecognisable now from the person who
walked through the doors in March 2009.
“She looks great and she’s grown into someone who truly believes in herself – as well she should after losing over four stone. We’re all incredibly proud of her.”
By 2020 it is predicted 17.7 million women in England will be overweight or obese, and be more susceptible to diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
* Call Katrina on (01884) 32606 or visit www.slimmingworld.com/slimwithkatrina for more information about Sidmouth’s Slimming World groups.