Sidmouth Yorkshire society seeks members
IF YOU have Yorkshire roots, Sidmouth has the society for you. Nearly a year after forming a club just for those born in Yorkshire, Jennifer Van der Linde is keen to boost numbers.
IF YOU have Yorkshire roots, Sidmouth has the society for you.
Nearly a year after forming a club just for those born in Yorkshire, Jennifer Van der Linde is keen to boost numbers.
"We have a good nucleus of about 20 members, and we are mainly a social, informal group," said Jennifer.
"We meet on the second Wednesday afternoon of the month at three or four regular places."
You may also want to watch:
They have tea at the Royal York and Faulkner Hotel, visit Sidmouth Garden Centre and have held a lunchtime quiz at the Blue Ball, Sidford, which Jennifer hopes will soon be repeated.
To become a member you must be born and bred in Yorkshire.
- 1 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 2 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 3 Plea for collectors to support town's air show
- 4 Wars of the Roses and end of the medieval era
- 5 East Devon's first zero-emission hire car now on the road
- 6 Official accreditation for Sidmouth Vikings
- 7 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 8 Local football unites against vandalism
- 9 Art society gear up for return of exhibition
- 10 Sidmouth bowlers suffer Madeira defeat
Jennifer, whose husband Peter is South African/Dutch, was born in Sheffield. Other members come from cities such as Bradford, Leeds, York and Harrogate.
"Most have relations there and people enjoy getting together to reminisce."
Jennifer launched the club after hearing about Sidmouth's Lancastrian Society.
"I kept seeing the group advertised and thought if they could do it we will have the War of the Roses! People said how wonderful, I've had great responses, I would just like to open it up to anyone who didn't hear about it originally."
If you are interested in joining the Yorkshire Society, call Jennifer on (01395) 512806 for details of forthcoming meetings.