Sidmouth Yorkshire society seeks members
IF YOU have Yorkshire roots, Sidmouth has the society for you. Nearly a year after forming a club just for those born in Yorkshire, Jennifer Van der Linde is keen to boost numbers.
IF YOU have Yorkshire roots, Sidmouth has the society for you.
Nearly a year after forming a club just for those born in Yorkshire, Jennifer Van der Linde is keen to boost numbers.
"We have a good nucleus of about 20 members, and we are mainly a social, informal group," said Jennifer.
"We meet on the second Wednesday afternoon of the month at three or four regular places."
You may also want to watch:
They have tea at the Royal York and Faulkner Hotel, visit Sidmouth Garden Centre and have held a lunchtime quiz at the Blue Ball, Sidford, which Jennifer hopes will soon be repeated.
To become a member you must be born and bred in Yorkshire.
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 7 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 8 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 9 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 10 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
Jennifer, whose husband Peter is South African/Dutch, was born in Sheffield. Other members come from cities such as Bradford, Leeds, York and Harrogate.
"Most have relations there and people enjoy getting together to reminisce."
Jennifer launched the club after hearing about Sidmouth's Lancastrian Society.
"I kept seeing the group advertised and thought if they could do it we will have the War of the Roses! People said how wonderful, I've had great responses, I would just like to open it up to anyone who didn't hear about it originally."
If you are interested in joining the Yorkshire Society, call Jennifer on (01395) 512806 for details of forthcoming meetings.