Sidmouth Yorkshire society seeks members
IF YOU have Yorkshire roots, Sidmouth has the society for you. Nearly a year after forming a club just for those born in Yorkshire, Jennifer Van der Linde is keen to boost numbers.
IF YOU have Yorkshire roots, Sidmouth has the society for you.
Nearly a year after forming a club just for those born in Yorkshire, Jennifer Van der Linde is keen to boost numbers.
"We have a good nucleus of about 20 members, and we are mainly a social, informal group," said Jennifer.
"We meet on the second Wednesday afternoon of the month at three or four regular places."
They have tea at the Royal York and Faulkner Hotel, visit Sidmouth Garden Centre and have held a lunchtime quiz at the Blue Ball, Sidford, which Jennifer hopes will soon be repeated.
To become a member you must be born and bred in Yorkshire.
- 1 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 Welcome boost for road safety and a milestone for club
- 5 Seven rescue animals in Devon needing new forever homes
- 6 Ottery St Mary rings in the festivities
- 7 Perfect storm has created a housing crisis that needs fixing
- 8 Students carry on Christmas tradition by taking tree through town
- 9 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 10 Rugby classics in exotic locations
Jennifer, whose husband Peter is South African/Dutch, was born in Sheffield. Other members come from cities such as Bradford, Leeds, York and Harrogate.
"Most have relations there and people enjoy getting together to reminisce."
Jennifer launched the club after hearing about Sidmouth's Lancastrian Society.
"I kept seeing the group advertised and thought if they could do it we will have the War of the Roses! People said how wonderful, I've had great responses, I would just like to open it up to anyone who didn't hear about it originally."
If you are interested in joining the Yorkshire Society, call Jennifer on (01395) 512806 for details of forthcoming meetings.