Sidmouth Youth Theatre perform The Wiz at Manor Pavilion Theatre
- Credit: Angela Davies
Tickets are on sale for the next production by the highly-rated Sidmouth Youth Theatre
The high-energy family musical The Wiz is the next Sidmouth Youth Theatre production at the Manor Pavilion Theatre, and tickets are now on sale.
The Wiz is faithful to the original Wizard of Oz story, taking Dorothy from Kansas to Oz along the Yellow Brick Road. Along the way she meets the familiar characters, the scarecrow, the lion and the tin man. There is a strange encounter with the wizard himself, a wicked witch to be destroyed, and the realisation that ‘there’s no place like home’.
This well known fantasy was created back in 1900 by L Frank Baum. Since then it has been presented as a stage musical, two silent movies and the 1939 Judy Garland picture. More recently, the hugely popular and stunning spin-off Wicked took the West End by storm. The Wiz was devised in the 1970s at the height of the Motown era, with music reflecting the distinctive style of the 70s, funk, soul, gospel and blues.
The story has a timeless universality, and a simple but vital message for life: if you believe in yourself you can achieve the impossible. In many ways this is the mantra of The Sidmouth Youth Theatre.
You may also want to watch:
Angela Davies, the director said, ‘Rehearsals have begun with great excitement and energy. Over 100 Sidmouth College students are involved and of course, Buster who will make his doggie debut as Toto. Many of the older and experienced members have now moved on and my task is to bring on the talent of the future. This show is a fantastic vehicle to achieve this, with many small cameo roles and a chance for younger members to shine.
“People always say to me, ‘how are you going to follow that?’ My reply has always been…. with the next show and another group of committed and hard-working young people. I hope the Youth Theatre will always inspire young people and empower them to achieve.”
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 6 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 7 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
The show will hit the Manor Pavilion stage from Tuesday, February 5 - Saturday February 9. Tickets are £13 for adults, £6 for under 16s, available from The Manor Pavilion Box Office and at Sidmouth College at lunchtimes.