Sign up for wear a hat week to support Sidmouth teen’s fundraising
- Credit: Kyle Baker Photography
Fundraisers are calling on the community to leave their hat on for one whole week to boost a Sidmouth teenager’s efforts to fund brain tumour research.
Supporters of 18-year-old Charlotte Reid are asking workplaces, clubs, societies and schools to help them raise money next month in the run up to Brain Tumour Awareness’s annual Wear A Hat Day on March 29.
Sheila Pratt, Liz Clode, Alexa Baker and Cath Nettleton have joined forces to co-ordinate a week of fundraising after reading about cyclist David Salter’s efforts to ride from London to Paris in one day to support Charlotte.
The Sidmouth teenager was diagnosed with a rare craniopharyngioma in July 2015, but with the help of an ‘army’ of fundraisers has raised more than £12,000 of her £19,000 total towards a week of research.
The women have stepped up to continue fundraising on the teenager’s behalf to allow her to recover after spending Christmas in hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Alexa said: “She is a real fighter and wants to inspire and help others who may go through a similar experience or just to inform people what living with this condition means.
“Her page is mostly an upbeat day to day diary of her challenges - the highs and sometimes the lows but never depressing. Her aim now is to get better and to raise money for Brain Tumour Research. If more was known about these tumours, her life and others may have been very different.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
“It would be fantastic if your work place would join in too and if the local shops could show their support by putting a hat in their windows.”
Kicking off the week will be a craft and coffee morning in the Methodist Church Hall on Saturday, March 23. A beetle drive will also be held in the hall on March 29. On Sunday, March 24, a table top sale will be held in the Cellar Bar at Kennaway House between 10am to 2pm.
Clubs and societies are being encouraged to use their weekly meet up to raise money and encourage members to wear a hat of their choice for a £1 donation – with Sidmouth Running Club and JMDanceFit among the clubs already signed up.
The week will then end with a collection outside the Radway Cinema on March 29 and 30.
If you would like to join in and wear a hat during the week, host your own event or buy tickets for the beetle drive, send an email to email@example.com to register your interest.