Silver gilt for Sidmouth in South West in Bloom
SIDMOUTH only just missed out on gold at the South West in Bloom awards - landing a silver gilt in the Preece Cup for small coastal towns.
Four floral projects around the town also bagged individual community accolades when results were announced last Thursday.
Members of a completely new Sidmouth in Bloom committee, who had just six months to prepare for the contest, have toasted the achievements.
They say they are looking forward to a “fresh start” next year learning much in a short space of time.
“We weren’t expecting anything great but we learned a lot,” said Sidmouth in Bloom chairman Lynette Talbot.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been a really tough year and we’re pleased. This is a good start, we’ll keep improving.”
She added that competition bosses praised the new committee for the work it had done at short notice.
- 1 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 2 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 5 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 6 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 7 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Read all about it! Toto pays a visit to the bookshop
Only one town scored a gold award in Sidmouth’s category.
In Your Neighbourhood gongs – which encourage individuals or groups to continue work they are doing – went to the Chairman’s Garden near the cricket club, Fortfield Terrace residents and a pair of pensioners in Witheby.
A fourth, surprise, recipient will be revealed at a bloom awards night on October 24, said Lynette.
Town council chairman Stuart Hughes said: “My congratulations to a new group that put so much effort into receiving this award.”