Skydiving grandad from Ottery breaks £3k barrier
- Credit: Archant
John Hounsell will skydive in aid of Force on June 4 at Dunkeswell and has raised more than £3,000.
Generous passers-by have helped to take a daredevil granddad’s skydive for Force cancer charity over the £3,000 mark.
The fundraiser is being led by Ottery resident John Hounsell, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2015.
The 75-year-old is trying to encourage 29 other people to join him to from jump 15,000 feet at Dunkeswell in June to mark the charity’s 30th birthday.
In the run-up to the event, the grandfather-of-three and his supporters are hosting a series of street collections in East Devon.
You may also want to watch:
John said: “Without the generosity of the general public, I could not be doing this.”
To date, the event has secured 12 skydivers and raised more than £2,300 online.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
Agricultural service engineer John has been supported by his friend of 40 years Ruth Burrow. Ruth is a staunch supporter of raising awareness of prostate cancer after her husband Richard was diagnosed with it in 2005.
Ruth said: “The public have been absolutely amazing.
“It’s a charity there to support families going through cancer. You hope and pray that you or family do not have to use it, but should you need it it’s there - but it needs money to survive, because it cannot function on thin air.”
John will be back in action collecting in Ottery on Saturday, April 22, and Honiton on April 29.
So far, the collections in Axminster and Sidmouth have added a further £678 to the total.
Residents only have until April 22 to sign up to jump and can call John on 07976 749391 or 01404 813837, Ruth on 01404 812899, or Skydive Buzz on 01404 890222 or at www.skydiveukltd.com.
To find out more, visit: https://www.facebook.com/SkydiveForFORCE/?hc_ref=SEARCH
To donate, visit: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=reachforthesky