Slimmers lose 754 stone in 2016
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth slimmers celebrated a ‘fantastic’ end to 2016 after shedding a combined total of 754 stone.
Across the year, some 200 members of the town’s Slimming World groups shed 4.7tonnes - equivalent in weight to a small African elephant.
The terrific total in 2016 was some 151 stone more than slimmers lost the previous year.
Slimming World consultant Jon Borowik said simpler recipes were a contributing factor.
Last month, members took part in the Boxing Day Swim to showcase their newfound confidence.
You may also want to watch:
Jon said: “We have members who are coming in to lose half a stone - and that can be just as dramatic as losing six stone.
“The weight loss does help their health and gives them a new lease of life.”
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 3 'I feel that front line workers should be vaccinated as soon as possible'
- 4 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 5 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 6 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 7 'We are passionate about involving young people in planning'
- 8 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
During 2016, the groups have also raised more than £3,400 for Cancer Research UK through a series of collections, a clothes throw, and Race For Life.
“Its been a fantastic year for our local Slimming World groups and we have loved supporting the local community - especially the fundraising we have been doing for Cancer Research UK,” said Jon.
Fellow consultant Harriet Steptoe added: “Since becoming part of the Sidmouth team in April, I have enjoyed watching the members grow in confidence as they drop the excess weight.”
Jon offered advice to those looking to lose weight following the Christmas period and said: “It’s normal, we are all human, we are bound to put on weight here and then.
“It’s now about really putting the focus on what the members want. Losing weight doesn’t happen overnight.”
To find out more information about Slimming World, contact Jon on 07912665129.