Small village competition
VILLAGES in the surrounding area of Sidmouth with a population of 5,000 or less are being urged to enter the Calor Devon Village of the Year competition 2009. Places such as Newton Poppleford, Sidford, Sidbury, Beer, Branscombe and Tipton St John can appl
VILLAGES in the surrounding area of Sidmouth with a population of 5,000 or less are being urged to enter the Calor Devon Village of the Year competition 2009.
Places such as Newton Poppleford, Sidford, Sidbury, Beer, Branscombe and Tipton St John can apply for the competition which is being organised by Community Council of Devon.
Villages that enter will be judged across areas of rural village life including community life, business, young people, older people, environment and information technology.
Competition organiser David Kinross said: "We know that Devon has lots of fantastic village communities, all of which are involved in some excellent projects and are really working hard to improve life for villagers of all ages.
"We want to give villages the opportunity to showcase what they do well so that this can be shared across the county and more widely."
Later in 2009, one of the winning villages from Devon will represent the county in the prestigious Calor Village of the Year for England competition 2009/10.
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 3 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 4 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 5 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 6 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 7 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum
- 8 Lifeguards return to Sidmouth beach
- 9 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 10 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
This will give the village the opportunity of gaining recognition at national level as well as a share of a prize fund totalling more than �40,000.
The deadline for entries to the 2009 Calor Devon Village of the Year competition is Monday, June 1 and entry forms have been sent to all Parish Clerks in Devon.
They can also be requested from Gail Hickson on (01392) 383443 or by email at email@example.com.