Small village competition
VILLAGES in the surrounding area of Sidmouth with a population of 5,000 or less are being urged to enter the Calor Devon Village of the Year competition 2009. Places such as Newton Poppleford, Sidford, Sidbury, Beer, Branscombe and Tipton St John can appl
VILLAGES in the surrounding area of Sidmouth with a population of 5,000 or less are being urged to enter the Calor Devon Village of the Year competition 2009.
Places such as Newton Poppleford, Sidford, Sidbury, Beer, Branscombe and Tipton St John can apply for the competition which is being organised by Community Council of Devon.
Villages that enter will be judged across areas of rural village life including community life, business, young people, older people, environment and information technology.
Competition organiser David Kinross said: "We know that Devon has lots of fantastic village communities, all of which are involved in some excellent projects and are really working hard to improve life for villagers of all ages.
You may also want to watch:
"We want to give villages the opportunity to showcase what they do well so that this can be shared across the county and more widely."
Later in 2009, one of the winning villages from Devon will represent the county in the prestigious Calor Village of the Year for England competition 2009/10.
- 1 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 2 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 3 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 4 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 7 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 8 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 9 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 10 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
This will give the village the opportunity of gaining recognition at national level as well as a share of a prize fund totalling more than �40,000.
The deadline for entries to the 2009 Calor Devon Village of the Year competition is Monday, June 1 and entry forms have been sent to all Parish Clerks in Devon.
They can also be requested from Gail Hickson on (01392) 383443 or by email at email@example.com.