Smoke alarm warning in wake of fire deaths

AFTER two men died in separate incidents following accidental fires in their homes, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to have smoke alarms fitted.

AFTER two men died in separate incidents following accidental fires in their homes, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to have smoke alarms fitted.

A man of 60, and another aged 76, died in their bungalow homes within a week of each other.

Investigations show neither had smoke alarms, or operational ones, fitted.

Paul Slaven, fire service press officer, said: "A smoke alarm is the simplest single step you can take to reduce the risk of dying from fire in your home. But if they are not working, they are useless, so it is important they are fitted properly and checked regularly."


You may also want to watch:


Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service advises you to:

* fit smoke alarms on the ceiling at each level in your home, in hallways and landings

Most Read

* keep them free from dust and test them once a week

* consider buying a 10-year alarm; otherwise, change the batteries in your alarms every year.

Halls and doorways used to escape in the event of fire should be kept clear. Both men who died had large amounts of hoarded material in their homes.

Anyone concerned a family member, friend or neighbour may be at risk from a home fire, can ask for firefighters to carry out a home safety visit.

This may involve fitting a free smoke alarm or providing fire safety advice.

For a free home safety visit, or to refer someone you are concerned about, call (0800) 73 11 822.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter