Smuggler Jack play for Sidmouth FolkWeek
Sidmouth Mummers stage two plays for FolkWeek following launch of ‘slightly nude’ calendar
FRESH from launching their ‘slightly nude’ fundraising calendar, Sidmouth Mummers have announced they will perform a short play based on Beer smuggler Jack Rattenbury during FolkWeek.
Don’t fear, they won’t be shelving their traditional Christmas play during the festival, but adding the second, written in the early 1980s by of its members, Pete Wilson, about Jack, known as “the Rob Roy of the West” for his exploits along the coasts of East and South Devon.
Pete has created a (largely) fictitious but amusing street theatre play about the smuggler.
Keith Hudson, best known as St George in the Christmas play, has reprised the part of Jack himself, which he last performed during the 1983 folk festival.
You may also want to watch:
This time the play can be seen around Sidmouth on Saturday and next Thursday evening.
The Mummers will perform their traditional Christmas play next Sunday afternoon, August 1, at 1pm in the Volunteer garden, finishing at 5.15pm at Port Royal.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 7 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Debut in the Dartmoor League
They will also do a couple of performances on the sea front, weather permitting, and on Tuesday evening from approximately 7.30pm.
Their calendar has been launched as their first stage of the group’s Walk the Walk appeal in aid of Children’s Hospice South West.
“There’s nothing rude about the calendar, it’s simply all good fun,” said appeal co-ordinator Henry Piper (Father Christmas).
To buy one contact Henry on (01404) 811491 or email: email@example.com.