Snake bite alert after Seaton dog dies
PUBLISHED: 10:10 03 May 2017 | UPDATED: 09:05 08 May 2017
Owner's warning after adder kills much loved pet spaniel
Dog walkers in East Devon are being warned to look out for snakes after a fatal adder attack in Seaton.
Springer spaniel Maisey died after she was bitten whilst walking along a roadside verge in New Beer Road.
Now the much-loved family pet’s devastated owners are urging people to be aware of the deadly danger that can lurk in long grass at this time of year.
Lisa Rawlings was looking after Maisey, aged 14, for her mum Margaret, 84, after the animal was recovering from a stroke.
While taking her for a walk she saw Maisey sniffing away happily on a grass verge. But the next day she and her mum noticed some very strange behaviour and saw a spot of blood from her underside.
“I thought it strange and maybe she had been cut by something, but we couldn’t see her skin because of her long fur so we took her to the vets. By then she was hardly breathing and they said there was nothing they could do - it was too late.
“Her undercarriage was black where the venom had stopped the blood from clotting - all over her belly. The poison stops the blood and oxygen getting to organs. She would have been in a lot of pain.”
Now Lisa, who lives in Cheltenham, has launched a social media campaign to warn other pet owners of the snake bite danger.
She said: “It is adder season with the warmer weather in May and they love grassy banks. If we can save just one little dog we will be so pleased. Losing Maisey was heart-breaking, especially as she had made such a remarkable recovery from her stroke, only to be bitten by an adder and die three days later.”