Somerfield raises £2 million for cancer charity
SIDMOUTH Somerfield has helped with the supermarket s national campaign to raise money for a cancer charity, which has now hit the £2 million mark. Supermarket staff have raised money for Macmillan Cancer Support since March 2007 through fundraising in-st
SIDMOUTH Somerfield has helped with the supermarket's national campaign to raise money for a cancer charity, which has now hit the £2 million mark.
Supermarket staff have raised money for Macmillan Cancer Support since March 2007 through fundraising in-store, sales promotions and gift items.
Darren Payne, Duty Manager at Sidmouth High Street Somerfield, said: "People have been pretty generous with their donations and have been handing over spare change.
"We've sold badges, picnic mats and games as well as other products for the charity."
You may also want to watch:
In 2007 the store raised around £500 and the 2008 figure is expected to be around £1,500.
Pete Williams, head of press and charity at Somerfield, said: "We are very excited to have raised £2 million for Macmillan. We set ourselves an ambitious target at the start of the partnership and I am very proud to see us exceed it."
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 10 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
The money raised by Somerfield stores will help to fund a range of cancer services throughout the country.
Ciarán Devane, Chief Executive for Macmillan Cancer Support, said: "This is a phenomenal achievement and is a testament to the commitment of Somerfield staff and customers to improving lives in the local community.