SOS campaigners hand Knowle petition to government
CAMPAIGNERS have delivered a petition bearing 4,209 names against development of the Knowle to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government in London.
Save Our Sidmouth protesters want Eric Pickles to call in the application by East Devon District Council (EDDC) and for a public planning inquiry to be held.
Kelvin Dent and his wife Sue travelled to the capital last Friday to hand over the petition.
“The petitioners do not think it’s fair that the council are both the owners of the land at the Knowle and the applicants as well as the planning authority,” said Mr Dent.
“They also argue that the proposal to build private houses on public park and gardens land at Knowle can’t be right without a proper public inquiry.
You may also want to watch:
“There are 4,209 names and addresses on the petition. Not bad for a town with a population of 14,000. The petition is the result of a lot of hard work by people drawn from Save Our Sidmouth who all care passionately about preserving Sidmouth’s heritage.”
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 7 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park