Spate of burglaries hit Sidmouth over Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Residents returned home from Christmas breaks to find their houses had been targeted in a spate of burglaries in Sidmouth and Newton Poppleford.
Crooks took jewellery and ignored pricey electrical equipment like televisions, mobile phones and tablets.
Five properties, three of them backing onto the Byes, were broken into while their owners were away between December 22 and 28.
Around £1,400 of items were taken from a Byeside Road home on December 23 or 24.
Properties in Ashley Crescent, Sidmouth, and Lower Farthings, Newton Poppleford, were also hit.
You may also want to watch:
Dwellings in Malden Road and Sid Park Road were broken into in the same way between December 24 and 28.
“In each case, the perpetrators seem to have assessed the dwellings in advance, before gaining access from rear windows,” said Sergeant Andy Squires.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
He has asked residents to be vigilant if they see people acting suspiciously and contact police as soon as possible so they can intervene.
“People have gone away and come back to find that over Christmas their properties have been broken into,” said Sgt Squires.
“Small items of jewellery were taken but TVs, iPads and iPhones were all left.”
He added that perpertrators would most likely have been on foot. Detectives from Honiton CID are investigating the series of burglaries.
Anyone with information has been urged to contact police on 101, crime references KS/13/710 for Byeside Road, KS/13/711 for Ashley Crescent, KS/13/713 for Lower Farthings, KS/13/718 for Malden Road and KS/13/726 for Sid Park Road.