Special event to mark Sidmouth Sailing Club’s 80th
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Sailing Club is pushing the boat out to celebrate its 80th birthday by encouraging more people to take up the sport.
The club is keen to introduce more people from the community to the world of sailing by holding an open day full of activities and taster sessions.
The event is part of the Royal Yachting Association’s (RYA) Push the Boat Out initiative, with more than 350 clubs across the UK taking part.
Commodore Simon White said: “We are delighted to be taking part.
“We want to show that sailing is fun, accessible and inexpensive. We are inviting the local community to come down to the club and have a go at sailing and see what we have to offer.”
You may also want to watch:
The club is offering taster sessions to everyone aged 10 and above, as well as a number of shore-based displays, including a practical knots challenge and nautical treasure hunt. The event will take place from 10am to 4pm on Saturday, May 14.
Last year, more than 24,000 newcomers attended events around the country.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
Jackie Bennetts, RYA Club support advisor, said: “RYA Push the Boat Out is all about getting people out on the water locally and giving them the chance to find out just how easy it is to get involved in sailing and windsurfing.”
To book a session, email firstname.lastname@example.org or by text to 07765 656920. Consent forms signed by parents will be necessary for all under-18s.