Special service to be organised for Sidmouth resident Alma
- Credit: Archant
The Friends of Alma Rose group are in the process of organising a service for residents who could not attend her funeral.
Friends of a Sidmouth teacher who ‘touched many lives’ are joining forces to organise a special service in her honour.
A group set up in memory of Manor Road resident Alma Rose is inviting residents who could not attend the 100-year-old’s funeral to pay their respects later this year.
Alma died in May and was buried in Epping.
Her friend, Jacky Storey, is helping to organise a Devon-based service for those who could not attend.
You may also want to watch:
As a young girl, Alma was not a fan of school, but eventually embarked on a career in teaching that took her across the world, including India.
Jacky said: “Never marrying or having children of her own, Alma wanted to create an innovative learning environment, where each child could be happy and fulfilled, while also acquiring the basic skills needed in life.”
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 8 Grab your chance to win a new TV from Fords South West Ltd
- 9 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 10 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
While in India, Alma met a young Queen Elizabeth II while working on a new school to educate 150 children.
She returned to England and upon retiring from teaching she retrained as therapist - moving to Sidford and then Sidmouth.
Jacky said: “Through her counselling and generous charity donations, she touched many lives.”
Residents who knew Alma can contact Jacky on firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the mailing list about the upcoming service. A date for the service is yet to be confirmed.