Spirit of Sidmouth in Mark's book
FROM rockpooling at low tide beneath the Clock Tower at Jacob s Ladder, to delightful floral displays at Connaught and Blackmore Gardens, Sidmouth bookseller Mark Chapman really has captured the essence of Sidmouth in his little book
FROM rockpooling at low tide beneath the Clock Tower at Jacob's Ladder, to delightful floral displays at Connaught and Blackmore Gardens, Sidmouth bookseller Mark Chapman really has captured the essence of Sidmouth in his little book The Spirit of Sidmouth published by Pixz.
There may only be captions to each of his photographs, but each picture, taken over the years by Mark, who runs Paragon Books in Sidmouth High Street, tells its own story.
Naturally, there are many shots of the town's seafront, both from the high vantage point at Peak Hill to a storm-drenched Esplanade with not a deckchair in sight.
One can easily imagine each season as you take in each picture, and the book ends with a series of winter scenes and a glorious January sunset over Peak Hill.
You may also want to watch:
One of my favourite shots is of two children sitting quietly on the steps of Sidmouth War Memorial, a timeless image capturing a tranquil moment.
Mark professes not to be a professional photographer, although his images are well executed, which, to me, makes these pictures more special in conveying the spirit of Sidmouth.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
Pixz, part of Halsgrove Publishing, is producing a series of Spirit of books in this small format.
Copies of Mark's book are available from his shop, priced �4.99.