‘Spring into action’ and save lives by giving blood
- Credit: Archant
SIDMOUTH residents have been urged to ‘spring into action’ and help save lives - by giving blood.
NHS Blood and Transplant wants people not to forget hospital patients when they are making plans to enjoy the better weather.
Householders will get the chance to donate at sessions at Stowford Community Centre, in Chambers Close, on Friday, May 23, from 1.15pm to 3.30pm and 4.45pm to 7.30pm.
Geraldine Parker, lead donor relations manager for the South West for NHS Blood and Transplant, said: “We’re asking people to spring into action this spring. This time of year is an important time to give, as stocks are often more vulnerable around public holidays, when people are busy getting out and about or going away for breaks. Giving blood now and in the next few weeks will also help boost blood stocks before people turn their attention towards England in the football World Cup. Please don’t forget about those hospital patients who rely on blood donors to save their lives or keep them well.
“We need more than 7,000 people to attend a blood donation session every day to collect the amount of blood hospitals across England and North Wales need to treat patients. So go on, make an appointment to donate. All you need to do is visit www.blood.co.uk, find a local session and make an appointment.”
You may also want to watch:
NHS Blood and Transplant needs people from all blood groups to donate, but O negative and B negative donors are particularly required.
O negative or ‘universal’ donors can help patients with a different blood group, vital in an emergency.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
For more information, or to book an appointment, visit www.blood.co.uk or contact 0300 1232323.