St Nick's pupils are pulling the strings!
ST Nick s pupils became puppet masters for the day when they took part in an educational workshop this week. PuppetCraft, a national touring company based in Totnes, visited the year five pupils on Tuesday and taught them how to make shadow puppets. Nick
ST Nick's pupils became puppet masters for the day when they took part in an educational workshop this week.
PuppetCraft, a national touring company based in Totnes, visited the year five pupils on Tuesday and taught them how to make shadow puppets.
Nick Kitchen, head of year five, said: "We linked three curriculum areas as the children are studying India in geography, light in science and also design and technology.
"The children learnt about opaque and transparent light and they were all given an Indian story and the puppet had to reflect the character in the story."
You may also want to watch:
After the children made the puppets they performed a shadow puppet show for their fellow pupils.
Mr Kitchen added: "The children thoroughly enjoyed themselves and it has improved their listening, communication and design skills.
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 3 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 4 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 5 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 6 Good old-fashioned common sense is what's needed
- 7 Another record for Kirsteen
- 8 Pre-season fun for a rugby player
- 9 Top books to inspire children to love nature this summer
- 10 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
"At the end of the term we will be organising a similar event but the children will have to make the puppets without any help and they will be given a different story to perform.