‘Stay safe and avoid preventable kitchen fires’

PUBLISHED: 11:19 01 May 2015

Archant

Fire chiefs are urging residents to take care in the kitchen after it was revealed that 60 per cent of house fires in the area over the past year were cooking related.

New figures published by the fire service show that of the 129 blazes that took place in domestic dwellings, 78 involved ovens, grills, toasters and microwaves.

In response, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue has published advice to reduce the likelihood of a fire in the kitchen.

These include turning saucepans so the handles do not stick out over the edge of the hob or over another ring, keeping the oven and hobs clean, and ensuring cooking equipment is switched off after use.

Marc House, community safety prevention manager for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue, said: “A fire involving someone’s home is an absolutely devastating event, that not only affects individuals and their families, but neighbours and members of the wider community.

“The impact of fire is often long-lasting and cannot be underestimated.

“It is such a shame because most, if not all fires involving cooking, could be easily prevented.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald