‘Stay safe and avoid preventable kitchen fires’
- Credit: Archant
Fire chiefs are urging residents to take care in the kitchen after it was revealed that 60 per cent of house fires in the area over the past year were cooking related.
New figures published by the fire service show that of the 129 blazes that took place in domestic dwellings, 78 involved ovens, grills, toasters and microwaves.
In response, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue has published advice to reduce the likelihood of a fire in the kitchen.
These include turning saucepans so the handles do not stick out over the edge of the hob or over another ring, keeping the oven and hobs clean, and ensuring cooking equipment is switched off after use.
Marc House, community safety prevention manager for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue, said: “A fire involving someone’s home is an absolutely devastating event, that not only affects individuals and their families, but neighbours and members of the wider community.
You may also want to watch:
“The impact of fire is often long-lasting and cannot be underestimated.
“It is such a shame because most, if not all fires involving cooking, could be easily prevented.”
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 8 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98