Steady progress at Ottery barn fire
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have begun to scale down their operation at a barn near Ottery St Mary after it caught alight in the early hours of this morning.
The barn, which contained hay and farming equipment, was well alight when crews arrived at Coombelake just before 1am.
Crews got to work to bring the fire under control, as well as evacuating animals from the building, and protect surrounding buildings.
A Devon and Somerset Fire Service spokeswoman said: “Two pumps are on scene. Steady progress is being made, we have scaled down and are looking to protect nearby buildings.
The fire service received multiple calls from members of the public reporting the fire. A water carrier from Danes Castle was also mobilised, as was a further pumping appliance from Honiton.
You may also want to watch:
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the incident was ongoing, and crews remain on the scene tackling the fire.
Honiton Fire Station said relief crews would be taking over this morning, as the incident would be ‘ongoing for some time’.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites