Steam engine rolls in for late-night shopping
- Credit: Archant
Father Christmas is coming to Ottery tonight (Friday) to mark the town’s late-night shopping event.
The popular Gliddons steam traction engine will roll into the Square at 4pm and will be offering rides around the town from 6.30pm.
A torchlight procession will start from the church steps in Silver Street at 6.10pm and proceed to the council offices in time for the switch-on. The lights will be switched on by carnival queen Hannah Riggs and princesses Millie Gething and Freya Bailey, at 6.30pm.
Children can also take part in the great Ottery snowman hunt by finding the snowman’s friends hiding in shops around the town.
Once completed, participants can take their forms to Seasons Tea Rooms to collect their prize.
You may also want to watch:
Shops will remain open to 8pm.
Viv Abbot, chairman of Ottery’s Chamber of Commerce, said: “People are getting excited. It’s going to be a fun-filled night with people coming to our shops and having a drink. The atmosphere in the town is always very good.”
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 7 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 8 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National