Sterling support (£6k of it) for return of Red Arrows
- Credit: Archant
The Red Arrows could be secured for next year if every Sid Valley resident gave just £1.
That was the message from town councillor Ian Barlow as he praised the businesses that have already pledged £6,000 towards the £15,000 display.
It came in the same week the town council launched an online crowd-funding appeal, where residents have already pledged £500.
“I want to thank all the people who have donated already,” said Councillor Barlow. “The businesses are doing their bit – now it’s your turn. Don’t just take it for granted. This year is taken care of. This appeal is to ensure the Red Arrows come back next year. We would like to raise as much money as possible.”
The Red Arrows last performed over Sidmouth in 2006 as part of the regatta, but as costs escalated it became difficult to pay the bill. The town council made a bid to bring them back and was surprised to be accepted for a display this summer at such short notice – so agreed to underwrite the £15,000 cost of securing them.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Barlow is now leading the effort to recoup the cost and make the RAF stunt team an annual fixture once again.
“If everyone in Sidmouth gave £1 that will cover it,” he said. “Don’t be shy!”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 5 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 6 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 7 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 8 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
He asked families to donate £10 and think about what other entertainment they could get for that amount.
The following businesses have committed at least £500: The Bedford Hotel, York Hotel, Sidmouth Hotel Group, Edward Willis Fleming from Sidmouth Design, Winchesters, Richard Heard, Sidmouth Garden Centre and Tom Griffiths, with the Summer Shop and the Fort Café.
The Red Arrows display in Sidmouth will begin at 6.30pm on August 21.
? To support the appeal, visit https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/simon-pollentine-2.