Still space at Ottery’s community Christmas lunch
- Credit: Archant
Residents who would be alone at Christmas are coming together again in Ottery thanks to a tradition started by a generous West Hill widow.
Retired teacher and poet Betty Williams, 87, made headlines around the globe in 2014 when she invited dozens of strangers to keep each other company over a festive lunch.
The Lamb and Flag pub is hosting the festivities for the final time on Tuesday (December 20), as landlord Ron Miles is leaving, but he hopes an alternative venue can be found.
“The feeling at the meal is electric,” he said. “The previous years have been absolutely phenomenal. There are so many happy faces. It gives them a purpose to talk about the old times. To be a part of that is incredible.
“It was set up by Betty because she was going to be alone at Christmas. She wanted to buy Christmas lunch for everyone who would be in the same position.
You may also want to watch:
“Hopefully somebody else will pick it up for next year.”
Mayor Glyn Dobson said he is looking forward to the event and waiting on the diners again with other councillors.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 5 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 6 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 7 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 8 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
Doors to the free lunch, for 40 people from the Ottery parish, will open at 12.30pm for a 1pm start.
There are still some spaces available. Anyone interested in attending should call Phyllis Baxter on 07813 936742.
She is also keen to hear from anyone who can provide some musical accompaniment.