Storm described as "world war three" by Tipton resident
TIPTON St John was also badly affected by the severe rain and heavy hail which took East Devon by surprise yesterday. Tipton Garage and the local playing field were completely flooded and in some areas the river burst its bank. George Bavidge, 66, a Tipto
TIPTON St John was also badly affected by the severe rain and heavy hail which took East Devon by surprise yesterday.
Tipton Garage and the local playing field were completely flooded and in some areas the river burst its bank.
George Bavidge, 66, a Tipton resident, said: "The storm was absolutely terrible.
"You could tell it couldn't get out of the valley-it was just going round and round.
You may also want to watch:
"The lightning thrashed down then as soon as the light went out the thunder followed. "It was right above us most of the night and it was really coming down.
"We couldn't get to sleep at all. The dog was under the bed all night and it sounded like world war three out there."
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
George's house escaped flooding but some of his neighbours were not so lucky.
He added: "The river is very close to our bungalow but we haven't been flooded although our garden was at one point.
"The cottage opposite the church looks like it has been flooded as well as a few other places.
"It really wasn't expected at all. We were told there was going to be a bit of rain but it took them by surprise.
"It is so out of the ordinary that I don't think they could have foreseen this.