Stowford centre to offer line dancing
Fundraising re-launch to aid running of Stowford Community Centre
FUND-RAISING has started again to help fund running costs at Stowford Community Centre.
Jan Jones sets the ball rolling with a jumble sale at the centre on Saturday, October 22, from 10am to 1pm.
“Anyone who has jumble items to donate can leave them at the centre between 9.30am and 3.30pm, Monday to Saturday, or call me if it needs collecting,” said Jan, who can be contacted on (01395) 579195.
The centre will soon have its own choir, which is being set up by trustee Maggie Baldwin, with help from kitchen volunteer Pip. First meeting is Thursday, October 6, at 2pm at the centre and anyone interested should go along then.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile Jan is setting up a line dance and partner dance group there in November.
The first session will start at 8pm on Friday, November 18 [doors open at 7pm].
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 4 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 5 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 6 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 7 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 8 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
She said: “I am taking on a big venture doing country Western dance with a band. It will run on the third Friday of each month.”
Local band West Country will provide the music at the first session.
Jan, who has been line dancing since 1997, said: “The Honiton club is moving to Cullompton so there is no-one in the area. I thought, what better place to have it than the centre. It is very popular.
Entry will be �6 on the door and there will be a prize draw and refreshments on sale.
Jan is also on the lookout for more volunteers to help at the community centre’s cafe.
She said: “It is going very well. Mornings are quite busy. Workmen are coming in for breakfasts, it is really picking up, we just need people to know we are there.”
Anyone able to volunteer a few hours’ to fill in can contact Jan or Jeff Merrett at the centre on (01395) 576803.