Strictly come fundraising - dancing for Campaign 2012
A fundraising couple has waltzed into the graces of Sidmouth Primary School with a donation towards the Herald’s Campaign 2012.
John and Sonia Davies’ ‘Dancing for Charity’ group raised �500 towards the fund to net youngsters a new minibus.
Sarah Fletcher, the school’s Parents, Teachers and Friends’ Association (PTFA) secretary, said: “It came as a total surprise but it was much appreciated.
“It was really nice to hear from them as we didn’t even know they were raising money for us.”
John and Sonia’s group has raised money for causes throughout the Sidmouth area for the past four years.
You may also want to watch:
“We raise money until we get around �500 and give that to a different charity each time,” said John.
“We like to try to keep it local because we infiltrated Sidmouth after we retired and wanted to give something back.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
He is well placed on the committee for the Conservative Club, which waives any charge for the weekly dances the duo hold, in addition to private lessons for more advanced students.
Sid Vale Athletic also boosted the Campaign 2012 with �350 raised at their fun day in May, and Prospect Plaice donated �50. That takes the current total for the fund to �9,561.
The PTFA hopes to spread the �20,000 cost of the minibus over four years with a lease, which will also cover the school against breakdowns.
The school’s first fundraising event of the term is a coin jar challenge, with classes racing to collect copper coins.
The best class at each site will get a prize of �30, with the rest of the money going towards the minibus.
If you would like to help raise funds for the Herald’s Campaign 2012, contact Sarah Fletcher at email@example.com