Stroke recovery group ‘could return’ to Ottery
- Credit: Archant
A new group for stroke survivors could be set up in Ottery if enough people are interested, says the former organiser of recovery sessions in the town.
Terence Hounsom, who ran East Devon Stroke at the dance studio, had previously been in charge of Survivors, a similar group in Sidmouth.
It stopped after there were not enough people coming along, and although he said he had no immediate plans to reinstate it, Mr Hounsom said if around 10 stroke survivors said they were interested in taking part of the sessions he would restart it.
He said the recovery groups have a range of benefits to stroke survivors and their carers.
“Professionally supervised, regular exercise, in a group of similarly afflicted members, can add so much quality of life, not only in therapeutic improvements, but also from the beneficial feelings of exercise and in the mutual support and camaraderie of other stroke affected members.”
Mr Hounsom added carers, who are also welcome to join in the classes, can benefit from the regular support from the other carers present at sessions.
He said sessions would cost £5 per person to cover the cost of venue hire and a qualified fitness trainer.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 6 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 7 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers
Any stroke survivor wishing to form a group, meeting for an hour a week at Ottery Sports Centre should contact Terence on 01395 576736.