Stroke recovery group ‘could return’ to Ottery
- Credit: Archant
A new group for stroke survivors could be set up in Ottery if enough people are interested, says the former organiser of recovery sessions in the town.
Terence Hounsom, who ran East Devon Stroke at the dance studio, had previously been in charge of Survivors, a similar group in Sidmouth.
It stopped after there were not enough people coming along, and although he said he had no immediate plans to reinstate it, Mr Hounsom said if around 10 stroke survivors said they were interested in taking part of the sessions he would restart it.
He said the recovery groups have a range of benefits to stroke survivors and their carers.
“Professionally supervised, regular exercise, in a group of similarly afflicted members, can add so much quality of life, not only in therapeutic improvements, but also from the beneficial feelings of exercise and in the mutual support and camaraderie of other stroke affected members.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hounsom added carers, who are also welcome to join in the classes, can benefit from the regular support from the other carers present at sessions.
He said sessions would cost £5 per person to cover the cost of venue hire and a qualified fitness trainer.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
Any stroke survivor wishing to form a group, meeting for an hour a week at Ottery Sports Centre should contact Terence on 01395 576736.