Stroke recovery group restarts in Ottery after appeal
- Credit: Archant
A new group for stroke survivors in Ottery starts today after a successful appeal for people to take part.
Terry Hounsom, who ran East Devon Stroke at the dance studio, said after phone enquiries as a result of an article in the Ottery Herald he decided to contact some previous members and put together a new group.
He had previously been in charge of Survivors, a similar group in Sidmouth, but the Ottery sessions had stopped after not enough people were coming along.
However the recent interest has convinced him to restart it, and he said the recovery groups have a range of benefits to stroke survivors and their carers.
The sessions will provide professionally supervised fitness classes for anyone with mobility problems
You may also want to watch:
Terry said: “This is a friendly, pro-active self-help group for stroke survivors and other disabled people, and their carers.
“It is based around a once -weekly, light-aerobics exercise class.”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 4 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 5 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 6 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 9 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 10 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
Anyone who wants to join can take part in a free trial session, after that it costs £5 each week, but membership of the group is free, with a counselling and advisory service.
The group will meet in the balcony area of the Ottery Sports centre in Cadhay Lane every Friday, from 2.30 pm to 3.30pm.
For more information call Terry Hounsom on 01395 576736 or visit www.eastdevonstroke.co.uk.