Stuart Hughes named Sidmouth Town Council chairman
STUART Hughes has been named chairman of Sidmouth Town Council after two decades waiting to take the role.
STUART Hughes has been named chairman of Sidmouth Town Council, 20 years after he joined the body.
Sidmothian Mr Hughes described leading his home-town council as “an honour and a privilege.”
“I’ll continue to strive to do more for Sidmouth,” he said when civic leaders met on Monday.
“We’re all part of this community and I’m sure we all want the best for our town, and for it to remain the jewel in the crown of East Devon.”
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Hughes pledged his “full commitment and enthusiasm” to the role and paid tribute to his predecessor, Councillor Peter Sullivan.
Town, district and county councillor Mr Hughes said he hopes to encourage more people to take an active role in community groups and said the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and London Olympic Games in 2012 were perfect opportunities to do so.
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
Outgoing chairman Cllr Sullivan said of his time in office: “I’ve really enjoyed every minute of the chairmanship.”
He added speaking to the public was one of his favourite parts of the job and said: “Most people think of local government as an enclosed enclave of people who have secret talks. Every councillor here talks to people in their areas and I’m very proud to be part of that.”
Cllr Ian McKenzie Edwards was named vice chair of the council.
“Sidmouth Town Council is grass-roots opinion. I’m extremely proud,” he said.
The town council currently has three vacancies for councillors in the South, Primley and Salcombe Regis wards.