Students ask for Government to fund free bus travel
HEEDING the wishes of students during Local Democracy Week, East Devon District Council s executive board is to ask Government to introduce national free bus travel for young people.
HEEDING the wishes of students during Local Democracy Week, East Devon District Council's executive board is to ask Government to introduce national free bus travel for young people.
During Wednesday's debate on Local Democracy Week, members supported a motion by Councillor Stuart Hughes to make strong representation to Government to provide free bus passes.
He made the recommendation after hearing the request during a visit to Sidmouth College and on learning other schools had made similar requests to councillors.
"I therefore moved that the executive/council should make the strongest representations to government calling for consideration to be given to providing free travel for youngsters and that any such scheme if introduced should be fully funded by government," said Mr Hughes.
You may also want to watch:
The executive stressed the importance that any free travel provision should be fully funded by central government and should not fall to individual councils.
Children and young people are one of the seven priorities set out in EDDC's corporate strategy and the council is committed to involving and supporting them in issues that directly affect them.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
Mr Hughes said: "I believe the decision taken last night by the executive will send out the message to our young people that we are listening to them.