Students battle it out for Christian concert
STUDENTS from Sidmouth and Ottery schools will be competing in a battle of the bands contest with the winners going on to perform at a Christian concert in the summer. As part of the 1,100 anniversary of the diocese of Exeter, a concert has been arranged
STUDENTS from Sidmouth and Ottery schools will be competing in a battle of the bands contest with the winners going on to perform at a Christian concert in the summer.
As part of the 1,100 anniversary of the diocese of Exeter, a concert has been arranged in Sidmouth on June 20 in Connaught Gardens, with a number of Christian bands performing.
But on the line-up there will also be four young bands - two from Sidmouth College and two from The King's School.
Students will be going head-to-head in the battle of the bands style competition which will be held at the schools in April.
Reverend Dave Brown, who is arranging the events, said: "We have also organised 'rock school' workshops to be held at the schools on the same day as the battles.
"We thought it would be a good idea to involve the local schools as we hope to attract a lot of young people to the summer concert."
- 1 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 2 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 3 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 4 Amateur dramatic society present 'tried and tested' comedy
- 5 Is 'no dig' gardening lazy or are we just replicating nature?
- 6 Get ready to dive into Sidmouth's Sea Fest
- 7 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 8 Festival organisers join forces to boost the town's 'brilliant cultural offer'
- 9 'If I were a tree' - children's writing competition invites entries
- 10 Actor James Pellow plants tree for Sidmouth Arboretum
Preparations are underway for the anniversary celebrations and Reverend Brown is hoping between eight and ten bands will be performing.
Bishop Bob Evens of Crediton, who will be spending a week in the Sidmouth denery, will be the guest of honour at the event.
Reverend Brown added: "All of the artists will be interviewed and we will also have quizzes. We hope it will be a very successful and fun day.