Stunning musical play from Sidmouth Youth Theatre
The Ragged Child, set in 1849 London, returns to Sidmouth stage 21 years after SYT’s first production
YET another stunning performance by members of Sidmouth Youth Theatre is promised in its latest offering, The Ragged Child, on at the Manor Pavilion Theatre now until Saturday, February 12.
It is 21 years since SYT performed this breathtaking musical play, which depicts child deprivation in the London of the 1850s.
Dickensian in look and with music from the time, some 55 students take to the stage for this production, which was written for young people to perform and demonstrate their musical talents.
Having spent her summer with the National Youth Music Theatre, performing in Sweeney Todd, Hannah Thompson takes the earthy, unglamorous, lead role of Annie Cooper, a street child struggling to survive in London in 1849.
You may also want to watch:
The central character of The Ragged Child is Joe Cooper, Annie’s brother, who is played by Lee Clayden, a young actor plucked from the chorus in last years’ Blitz!
Director Angela Davies (pictured left) said: “This musical play may be an unknown to many, but the story is very real and full of high drama.”
- 1 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 2 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 3 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 4 Old Fore Street pedestrian zone will be open for bicycles to use
- 5 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 6 Smart mowing will create a corridor for small creatures
- 7 Rugby youngsters finish season with five tries
- 8 Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to welcome world leaders to South West
- 9 Born for the screen - Exmouth's very own Liver Bird
- 10 Rob to serve up your top topping for your perfect pizza this month
If you can still buy tickets they are �11/�6 from Sidmouth College (1.30pm-2.30pm) and The Tasty Baguette, Dove Lane from 9am-3pm excluding 12-1pm.
*Click here to see slideshow of Terry Ife’s atmospheric photographs of SYT’s dress rehearsal.