Supermarket shoppers boost Sid Valley food bank
- Credit: Archant
SUPERMARKET shoppers have boosted a cause that strives to feed families in need to the tune of £990.
Waitrose presented the Sid Valley food bank with a cheque last Friday as part of its Community Matters scheme.
The group of volunteers who started the project expressed their extreme gratitude for the donation and thanked the store and its shoppers.
“We have been overwhelmed by the generosity of the public through donations of food items at local shops and churches and money,” said the food bank’s Annemarie Jones.
Annemarie spoke of how other groups and organisations kindly donating food and money following various fundraising activities.
You may also want to watch:
A family linked to the 1st Sid Vale Scouts held a party at Christmas where their guests donated various items.
One of the children at Sidmouth Primary School raised £35 by braving the cold, wet weather for the whole of December wearing his shirt without a jumper or coat and was sponsored by other youngsters.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 7 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
“It has been a very busy time since the doors opened in December,” added Annemarie. “We are very grateful to all those that have volunteered to help. Even if you haven’t been asked yet, please be patient because we will get round to contacting you.”
The scheme works on a voucher system where those in crisis are referred by various agencies.
It also provides a listening ear and can offer advice by volunteers from Sidmouth Help Link. The food bank has advertised for a manager and the closing date for applications is next Friday, February 22. E-mail email@example.com or phone 07413858335 for more information.