Swedish folk to meet in Otterton for annual gathering
Sidmouth woman organises reunion for Swedish residents from South West
SWEDISH people from across Devon and the South West will converge on Otterton next month for their annual church service and social.
Sidmouth woman, Karin Persson, has organised this year’s gathering, together with Karin Tilley.
“Once a year we call together all the Swedish people living in the South West,” said Karin Persson, nursery team leader at Sidmouth Day Care Nursery.
“The Reverend Michael Persson (no relation) is coming from London to conduct the service at St Michael’s, Otterton, at 10.30am on Saturday, May 26, and then we will have a social, with buffet lunch at the King’s Arms in the village.
You may also want to watch:
“There will be Swedish apple cake, which makes us feel at home,” she added.
Karin, who has attended the annual event for 15 years, said the service is conducted in Swedish and English.
- 1 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“It is a nice thing to do and a lot of us have made friends over the years. There are a few Swedish people living in Honiton and Exmouth as well as Exeter and last year we met at Exeter Cathedral.”
Anyone wishing to attend the event should contact Karin on 01395 577783.