Sweet memories inspire Karen to set up new business in town
- Credit: Archant
A childhood dream has come true for a new Ottery business owner - whose traditional sweet shop is already proving extremely popular.
Karen Hill, of St Budeaux Close, could not resist the opportunity to give up her job as a primary school cook in order to open Sweet Memories in the recently vacated former antiques premises in Broad Street.
With queues stretching around the block in the first week of opening, it seems her venture is going down a treat with residents.
Karen said: “It’s my nan’s fault really. When we were little, she used to take us to the sweet shop every week and it’s just something I always wanted to do.
“I saw the shop premises were becoming available and I thought it would make a lovely little sweet shop.
You may also want to watch:
“I worked at Sidmouth Primary School, but handed in my notice in and started here on March 10. The idea is to have a proper, old-fashioned sweet shop.
“On the first Thursday and Friday, there were queues going around the block.”
- 1 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
Karen added that feedback from both shoppers and other businesses in the town centre has been really positive and she has received lots of ‘lovely’ comments, as well as repeat customers.
And she is not stopping there. Karen has plans to buy a sweet cart in order to cater for parties and weddings.
She has also written to care homes and offered to deliver to people who cannot easily get out.