Talent sought in Ottery St Mary and other news
Entry forms are now available for this year’s Ottery’s Got Talent competition. Read this and more.
FLOOD DEFENCE: Work has now begun by the Environment Agency to improve the flood defence scheme at Chapel Lane, Ottery. Scheduled to last 18 weeks, the work is hoped to increase the standard of protection from flooding to the properties on the east side of the town by increasing the size of the vegetation screen. This will prevent debris from interfering with the flood defence and improving the flow of water to the local culvert. During the work, which is expected to last until September, Chapel Lane will be closed at the junction with Brook Street.
CHURCH CONCERT: Ottery St Mary Parish Church is hosting a ‘reflection of words and music from throughout the Church year’ on Saturday, July 14. Under the direction of Judith Reynolds there will be music by Stanford, Wesley, Rutter and others, with organist Michael Farley, choristers and other musicians. It starts at 7pm, and cost �5 for adults and �2 for children and those in full-time education, and are available from Ottery St Mary Tourist Information Centre on 01404 813964.
You may also want to watch:
GARDENING: Ottery St Mary Gardening Club is arranging a trip to Fermoy Garden centre with a visit to Suttons Trial Grounds on Tuesday, August 14. Tickets cost �7 for members, �8 for non-members, and the group will meet and set off from the Land of Canaan car park at 9.30am, returning around 4.30pm. For more information contact Joan Dalton on 01404 815082.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 7 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 High scoring in the Sidmouth Stablefords
- 10 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
OTTERY’S GOT TALENT: After last year’s successful event Ottery Carnival Committee is looking for more local people to enter its talent competition on November 3. Entry forms are available from the Tourist Information Centre or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org