Tanya sets sail in bid to reach £3,500 target
- Credit: Archant
A girl guides leader is finding her sea legs as she prepares to embark on a five-day sailing voyage in the Rolex Fastnet Race later this year.
Tanya Trevena, of the 1st Sidmouth Guides, is the only representative from Devon to make the team.
She became involved with the race after attending one of the guides’ You’re Only Young Once [YOYO] camps - and was inspired to sign up.
Tanya said: “I enjoy being a guide leader and really hope to impart wisdom and teach new skills to the next generation of ladies.
“By taking part in this race, I am hoping to inspire our girls to go out and grab life. I want to prove to them that nothing is impossible.”
You may also want to watch:
The 41-year-old is now racing to raise £3,500, to enable her to take part in the race, with a series of events.
At the weekend, she hosted a breakfast morning and an afternoon tea which raised £322.70.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
Tanya thanked Cooper Hill Farm Meats of Woolbrook for donating 50 sausages to the breakfast morning and Rosemary Zirker for her help with the vintage tea party, which has taken her total to £850.
The race, which is in its 90th year, will last five days.
The team will set off from Cowes on Sunday, August 16, and sail around Fastnet Rock near Ireland before finishing in Plymouth.
Sidbury resident Tanya is a regular rower at Sidmouth Gig Club, but took on the challenge to show the guides that life is a big adventure.
She added: “I am a complete novice at sailing and so this is going to be a challenge in more ways than one.”
To sponsor Tayna, visit her Just Giving page, https://www.justgiving.com/TT-Fastnet/.